Google Apps, now called G Suite is a popular choice for hosting your email accounts. Sierra.host does not host email boxes and recommends several providers including Google. Once your Google Apps account is created and setup, one of the steps you’ll need to perform is configuring your DNS records.
Configuring DNS records for Google Apps Email (Gmail)
- Log into your cPanel account (http://yourdomain.com:2083)
- Search for the “Zone Editor”
- Find your domain and press “Manage”
- Add a new MX record as follows:
- You can leave, Name, TTL, Class and Type with their default settings.
- Add 5 different MX records with the following unique values:
Priority: 1 Destination: aspmx.l.google.com.
Priority: 5 Destination: alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
Priority: 5 Destination: alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
Priority: 10 Destination: alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
Priority: 10 Destination: alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.
Once all your records are added and saved. You’ll need to wait for about 30 minutes for the change to take effect and begin routing your email delivery to Google servers. You can verify that your records were updated correctly by checking at:
MX TOOLBOX https://mxtoolbox.com/
Enter your domain and you should see the Google MX records returned.
That’s all there is to it! If you have questions or can’t figure it out, email us via the contact page or open a ticket from your Sierra.host Dashboard.